Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Stuck in the movie Groundhog Day?

In one of my favorite movies Groundhog Day, our protagonist Bill Murray is stuck living out that same day for like a billion years. He never travels to the future past Groundhog Day until he becomes the nicest guy in town, learns how to play the piano, build a nuclear reactor (maybe not) etc. I've realized my life and society is sort of stuck doing the same things daily like that movie.

Watch the trailer for fun if you want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVeDx9fk60

As a whole people never change. If you take a look at our developmental accomplishments in life most of them happen from when we're born to around the end of college. After college everyone stops learning all of a sudden, we all watch football every weekend and drink beer with our friends (I still love the Seahawks). No need to study for finals so its back to the bar or time to watch another episode of Breaking Bad.

The financial road we're on is generally the same maxing at around the 60,000 income range. Starting tomorrow "I'll eat healthy!" or "exercise" or fill in the blank, we say to ourselves and tomorrow comes around today...again...

I told myself I'd blog everyday of my life starting..."tomorrow", but it didn't work out that way...I know I need to exercise daily, but I don't. Programming is an invaluable skill-set right? Well I've been saying that for the last 2 and a half years.

We all have the next step right in front of us, but don't take it for one reason or another, which are all lame excuses at the end of the day.

So with all my ranting and whining about the problem, what is my solution? Well the reason I'm able to publish this blog today, the reason I've been more active is simple. A start is better than nothing...

I got myself to commit a little bit of effort these last couple of weeks. I now do 10 push ups when I wake up every morning. Consistently doing 10 push ups daily, I was actually in the mood to exercise a couple of days later, which I now do regularly. I made myself outline blogs whenever a topic or idea hit me, which makes publishing these puppies a lot easier. The next habit I'll try to instill is programming. Tiny consistent commitments that got me started down the right path made a huge difference. Even though I'm not blogging daily, which is hard to do things are definitely improving fast and I feel like I'm on an upward spiral.

After this post I'll do 5 minutes of programming lessons, which may be nothing...but tomorrow I may do 30 minutes of programming lessons who knows. I know I'll also do 10 push ups in the morning and still outline a blog idea tomorrow, which will definitely help lead me down the right path. The point is to start very small and you'll be impressed by what'll happen if you keep it up.

"I don't have the time" or "I'm tired" aren't excuses if you break down a huge goal of exercising daily into doing 10 push ups each morning or even less.

As we take these small steps the next ones will illuminate and should help us escape the Groundhog Day we're all stuck in. My goal is to keep improving past my early 20s for the rest of my life and hopefully become a badass mofo with this method.

As always you can find me on twitter: https://twitter.com/VladMkrtumyan
Thanks for reading. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment